Please give the page time to load as you read the description below of the sixteen photos on this page.
After viewing a photo you may click on it to go directly to the next one. 

Pictures 1-16

Getting started was quite a project, and it never would have happened without friends like Christopher Noonan, who was with me from the start and is seen in the first photo. Others who took time out from their busy lives to spend a week or two helping out in what they came to view as a therapeutic work break, included Brad Claire, Randy Robertson, and Charlie Minis, who was always good for a laugh.  There were also regular visits from our good friends from Florida who had moved to North Carolina before us; friends like Gary and Ruby Hughes, Dan and Sandy Seymour, Chris and Bev Mumford, and Bob and Libby Back. 

We started out by having 60 trees cut down and delivered to the property.  First the bark had to be stripped off, then they were cut to size, laid out and notched.  The floor joists were cut and set into notches in the bottom row. Then, like Topsy, it just growed.

















krislogrolling.JPG (423771 bytes)

Here's what 60 trees look like when they're dumped in your lap.











First the bark had to be stripped.  Nell got to be a great little stripper.












After cutting them to size we laid them out and notched them.












The floor joists were set into notches in the bottom row of logs.












This small boom was OK in the beginning, but had to be replaced by a bigger one later.   Nell enjoyed fishing the logs out of the pile.












The big boom handled the job much better. The log and 2x6 tripod with its boat winch, steel cable, and ice tongs was on a platform with rolling casters.











It was beginning to take shape.  I don't remember those Lincoln Logs of my childhood days being quite this much work.











As the first level neared completion we started planning how to frame the second story. The construction shack in the back was home to us when we were up here working.


















The saw mill wouldn't deliver to us and our only truck was this old Subaru Brat. To get the 18 foot boards to stay on we made a rack extension.












To have an upstairs we needed some stairs up. I was getting pretty good with a chainsaw by this time.












Notching a bird's mouth in the rafters was another chainsaw challenge.












Trimming off the ends of the roof boards helped me get over my acrophobia.

















The gambrel roof with full dormers front and back made this a 30 foot tall structure.












The wrap around porch was a labor of love. I guess the whole house was for that matter.












Each roof rafter of the porch had to be measured and fitted to the house.












Nell's extra hands came in handy